6.19.2012

Anatomy of a Breakup

First of all, I want to say that Ex-Fiance's and my breakup was absolutely not something that came completely out of left field.  It didn't happen overnight; Ex-Fiance didn't wake up the morning of May 25th and suddenly decide he hated me and didn't want to marry me.  Nor was it strictly a result of the fight we'd had just a few nights before.  I don't necessarily want to say it was a long time coming, though--just that there were a lot of factors that played into it, and some of them had been going on for a long time.

Ex-Fiance and I love each other very, very much, and we still feel a sincere connection to one another.  In the course of our relationship we have a had a lot of wonderful, happy times.  But we've also had a lot of tension and a lot of problems and a lot of unhappiness, and in a way, even if I never wanted to admit it, I think I've known this would happen eventually.

A lot of it has to do with my bipolar.  When I met Ex-Fiance, I was in a mental health crisis.  I was at the peak of my bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder, and I was a mess.  I didn't have a job, I was struggling financially, and I felt completely insane all the time.  I was barely functioning within my own mind.  I remember thinking, a few weeks after Ex-Fiance and I started dating, that I needed to wait--to break things off with him and then resume after I'd gotten treatment for the bipolar.  But I didn't want to do that.  There was a big part of me that was sick of putting my life on hold for mental illness.  And I fell for Ex-Fiance so completely, so quickly, that I didn't want to let that go.  So I didn't.  And Ex-Fiance was amazing about it; he was always very supportive of my getting help and he did his best to help me fight my demons.

For a couple months things were great.  I was happy and I had Ex-Fiance and there were some crappy things going on but mostly, I was good.  I almost felt like in my head, Ex-Fiance was the one thing the BS hadn't touched.  And then my head went after Ex-Fiance, and suddenly I was lashing out at him and breaking down constantly and it was just overall a very ugly situation.  I put Ex-Fiance through more than I want to admit; I was seriously terrible to him at points.  I willingly admit that I was a disgusting person a lot of the time when it came to him.  I yelled at him, screamed at him, insulted him, guilt tripped him, threw things at him, threatened him . . . I was awful.  And it continued after I started treatment, which was the worst part.

Once we moved to Kingman, things initially got worse.  I do not do well with moving and being in a new place and new situation led to a lot of breakdowns.  There were periods when we were barely speaking.  In September I went back on my Lithium and for a while things were OK--I remember telling Ex-Fiance that I was surprised at how happy I'd been feeling with the medication.  We had a good Christmas together and in January, I went back to my psychiatrist and got back on my Lithium.

I remember a fight in March, and then the next was in May.  And then came the breakup.

Also not helping things in Kingman was Ex-Fiance's job situation.  Ex-Fiance had a miserable, miserable school year, and I did not help.  I was so screwed up myself that I couldn't be a supportive, loving partner for Ex-Fiance when he needed it; I couldn't make our home a stress free environment so he was never able to relax.  He became withdrawn and depressed.  It definitely took a toll on our relationship.

So in short, things between us have never been perfect.  I know that no relationship is perfect but no relationship should have that much stress in it either.  I will say, though, that the good times we've had together have been amazing, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Right now, I'm at a point where I'm still hoping that things will work out between us.  We both have a lot of things to fix in ourselves, and I think that once we both do that, we can fix us.  I love Ex-Fiance with all my heart and I do believe he's who I'm supposed to be with.  We made a lot of plans for our future together, and that's the future I want.

So hopefully, things will work out.  And in the meantime, hopefully I can get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment