8.08.2013

Some Not So Great News

Yesterday morning I had an appointment with my psychiatrist, and I went in expecting it to be pretty standard.  But after going over some basics, my doctor asked me what I was thinking of doing as far as follow up.  I was totally confused, but it turns out that Dr. Wright is actually closing his practice and moving to Arkansas.  Apparently they sent letters to all his patients about this back in June but for whatever reason they had my Kingman address on file (I KNOW I updated that when I moved back up here).  So he's leaving in September.

I'm so sad!  I'm glad for Dr. Wright and I know that he's taking advantage of a good opportunity professionally, but I will definitely, definitely miss him.  I am sincerely beyond grateful to him for his help.  If it wasn't for Dr. Wright, who finally listened to my symptoms and gave me a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment, I would probably be dead right now.  I really do believe that.

We chose Dr. Wright because he was the first doctor Corey called who took uninsured patients; by the time we talked to him I was losing hope pretty fast.  He ended up being great for me; we just clicked, and I owe a huge amount of my success to him.  I'm so grateful for that.

I thanked him for everything he's done for me, and he thanked me in return and told me that it's been a privilege to see how much I've improved the past couple years.  He told me that he'll always remember me as a success story, and that was fantastic to hear.

As far as treatment goes, I have an appointment with another doctor in the same building in September, and after that, I'll probably start seeing the doctor who's replacing Dr. Wright.  He said he thinks she'd be a good fit for me, but she doesn't start until October and her schedule's pretty insane until December-ish, and I'll need medication refills before that, so this appointment in September is a "bridge" appointment, basically.

I'm not thrilled about having to start over with someone new (TWO more rounds of new patient paper work, awesome!) but I'm not dreading it either.  I'm at a point where I feel like I know what I need from a provider, so I feel like regardless of who the doctor is, I can advocate for myself, if that makes sense.

I'm more bummed to see Dr. Wright go than anything.  I may have cried a little on the way to work after my appointment, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.  I wish him the best, and again, my gratitude for him is tremendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment