4.30.2015

Let's Talk About April

April was pretty quiet (as most months tend to be lately).

Jerbs had a couple weekends off, so we got to hang out.  It was nice but a little weird, I love Jerbs and all but I guess I like my weekend alone time a little more than I realized.

The weather was pretty nice, minus a few random cold snaps.  We actually took the dogs to the pond one day, only to find a huge sign informing the public that the pond is now considered private property and only to be used by members of the country club, complete with a little "be prepared to show your membership card if asked" warning.  It was disappointing and absolutely infuriating.  I don't want to write too much about it because I've actually finally gotten over it.  But I will say that A) It's total BS because I'm pretty sure it was tax money, NOT private money, that built that pond, and B) the way this city caters and only cares about the wealthy and the college kids makes me sick, and is one of the many reasons Jerbs and I want to leave.

Also in April, Jerbs found out that the company she started working for in March (a locally owned urgent care) is not going to be locally owned for much longer, because the (apparently much greedier than originally thought) owners decided to sell the business to a national urgent care chain company.  They're still kind of in transition, and will be until mid-summerish.  No one over there is happy about it, and Jerbs is, of course, disappointed.  She worked for so long to get out of Staples and finally did and finally had a job she liked, and it's more or less been yanked out from under her.  So far, the new company says they won't make any major changes, but I don't really trust that.  They've also essentially made everyone go through the hiring process again.  Jerbs had to cut a trip to Phoenix short to go in and meet with the new HR people, and the deal was pretty much get your ass here or you're fired.  That was really, really frustrating (and probably illegal, since it was a scheduled day off, and the HR meeting was NOT scheduled).  At this point, I think her plan is to see through the transition, see what working for the new company is like, and then go from there as far as whether or not she stays.  I'm hoping it works out for the best because I just want her to be happy; I'm still super angry on her behalf though.  I'm also angry at yet ANOTHER locally owned place selling out to a chain.  Again, this seems to be part of the trend to just make Flagstaff another Phoenix, and I'm very not OK with that.

But enough of that.

One happy thing from this month has been that they finally hired someone to take on DME full time at MHC, which is a huge huge huge weight off my shoulders.  The new girl (who's actually a re-hire and not totally new to the company) started on the 20th.  I seriously counted down the days between when I found out and when she started.  I was just THAT excited.  So for the past week, I've been doing a lot of training at work, which I both like and dislike.  I won't lie, it's been kind of a painful process, and there have definitely been some moments where I've found myself thinking that it's not going to work out.  I just keep telling myself not to be too irritated, that she's only been learning it for a few days whereas I did it for a year so . . . of course it all looks super easy to me.  Hopefully it works out.  I just don't want to have to take DME back in 6 months.

I also found out this month that my dad's going to be moving (fairly soon?  not totally sure).  I guess his landlady (who's a long time family friend and also kind of his girlfriend, I don't really know what goes on there) is selling her house/property, which includes the little house my dad rents from her.  I won't lie, hearing that kind of freaked me out.  Some if is just worrying about my dad (although he did, very reassuringly, say to me, "Don fucking worry, Jessica, I have a plan.").  Some of it is just being sad at losing a place from my childhood.  This house is probably where I spent the most time as a kid, aside from the house I grew up in and my grandparents' house, and I think it's really the last significant place left, at least in my old neighborhood.  I kind of feel like my childhood is slowly being chipped away, and I hate that.  I want those memories and that time in my life to be a foundation for who I am as an adult, and losing that kind of sucks.  

So that was April.  Tomorrow I'm leaving for a weekend in Las Vegas with Theresa, her fiance, and her fiance's family.  We're going shopping for bridesmaid's dresses plus just, y'know, hanging out in Vegas.  I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment