1.10.2016

Moving: The Plan

We're starting to talk about the moving to Washington thing seriously now, and we've hashed out a little bit of a plan.

At some point in the near-ish future we're going to visit WA to explore and look at apartments.  This should be sometime in the early summer, like April or May.

Our lease is up at the end of June, but we're going to stay in Flagstaff until September.  This mostly has to do with my job: when MHC paid for my coding class, I signed a contract that's basically tiered as far as how much I'll have to repay if I leave the company.  If I had stayed at MHC 6 months or less after I enrolled, I'd have to pay back the full cost of the course.  If I stayed 6 months to a year, I'd pay back 75%.  At the year mark I have to pay back half, at a year and half I have to pay back a quarter, and if I stay 2 years I don't have to pay back anything.

I enrolled in February of 2015, so August of 2016 puts me at the 1.5 year mark.  So I want to stay thru that, because paying back a quarter of the class won't bee too terrible--I think around $400?  I can just kind of figure that into the moving budget.

We also decided that to save money for the move, Jerbs is going to pay the rent on our apartment herself for the next few months, and I'm going to put my half of the rent into savings every month.  It sounds (and feels, to be honest) a little unfair, but we really think it's going to be the best way to get the money together.  (As of this second, I don't know exactly how much it'll cost to do this).

I also realized that, since Jerbs doesn't drive, I'm going to have to rent a UHaul and a trailer thing to haul my car on.  This, honestly, is the worst thing I've realized so far, because the thought of driving a giant moving truck towing my SUV 1,300 miles sounds truly fucking terrible.  I like the idea of not putting those miles on my car but at the same time . . . gah.  I'm kind of hoping I can convince someone to drive my car up with me and then I'll fly them home.  So we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment