12.02.2012

Sentimental Sunday: Childhood TV

I'm one of those people who firmly believes that TV and books for kids were a lot better when I was little than they are now.  Especially TV, because really, you kinda can't beat 90's children's/YA shows.  Not that I watched a lot of TV, and my parents definitely didn't use it as a babysitter.  I think it's fun to look back on what used to be on TV when I was younger, so here are my favorites.

Early Childhood

--Eureka's Castle.  Loved it.
--David the Gnome.  This is probably my favorite of all of them.
--The Lil' Bits.  I remember begging my Uncle J to watch this with me when he came to visit us once.
--The Snoozles.  All through elementary school, junior high, and high school, I never met anyone else who remembered this show, and got a lot of crazy looks when I brought it up.  Then senior year Jerbs and I were talking and she mentioned it, and I was so excited.  To this day she's the only other person who remembers it that I've met.  Anyone else?
--Mya the Bee.
--Maple Town.  My other favorite.  I remember watching this one with my dad, but it's another one that no one else seems to remember.
--My Little Pony.  I know very few girls my age who didn't watch My Little Pony when we were kids.  I love that it's coming back now.  Austin is fascinated by MLP, and Jerbs watches the new episode every Saturday after she gets off work.

This was before the Disney Channel was a part of basic cable, so we didn't have it.  But every now and then they'd do a "preview weekend" and we'd have Disney for a couple days.  Whenever we did, we'd watch The Gummy Bears.  Great show, and I can still sing the theme song.

I have never in my life watched an episode of Sesame Street or Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.  Those just weren't ones that we watched at our house.


Older Childhood

--Full House.  This was an absolute must see did not miss an episode show.  Every Friday evening my aunt came over to watch it with me, my mom, and my sisters, and we made an evening of it.  As a kid I wanted to be just like DJ Tanner, haha.
--Doug.  Enough said.
--Hey Arnold!
--Aaah Real Monsters.  This was Jerbs' favorite.
--Are You Afraid of the Dark?  I was obsessed with this show, because I loved ghost stories as a kid.  My sister (Jenny) and I never missed an episode.  A couple years ago I downloaded the first season and Jerbs, Corey, and I watched it.  It was so much fun!  There are still a couple of episodes of that show that creep me out when I think about them.
--RoundHouse.  Very few other people watched this and it wasn't on very long.  It was kind of a musical variety/sketch show that was kind of replaced by All That once it went off the air.
--Clarissa Explains It All.  I've been told I look like Melissa Joan Hart . . . which I don't see.
--The Secret World of Alex Mack.  My mom was the biggest fan of this show in our house.
--Space Cases.  I'm pretty sure I'm one of about 3 people who actually liked and consistently watched this show, but holy cow, I loved it.
--Double Dare & Legends of the Hidden Temple.  The staple Nick game shows, in my opinion.
--The Tomorrow People.  This one was probably closer to teenage years for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment