1.01.2013

New Year, New Hair

I kicked off the new year (literally . . . I started on this right after Jerbs and I watched the ball drop on TV) by dying my hair.

Normally I use a generic box dye from WalMart, because I'm not super picky about it.  But for Christmas, my mom got me a giftcard to Sally's, so I thought I'd get a little fancier and buy the professional level dye that you mix yourself.  I chose L'oreal Preference Mega Brown in chocolate, because I fell in love with the swatch at the store.  Jerbs helped me and the process of mixing my own dye wasn't actually as intimidating as I'd expected.

Here's the before . . .


. . . and the supplies and the process . . .


. . . and the after!  



The after pictures don't really do justice to the color, but it is amazing--in the light you can see all the nuances of the color (the reds and violets) and it's beautiful.  I love it, I think it suits me well, and I'm totally thrilled with how it turned out.  I'm also really happy with the overall process.  Mixing the dye was easy and not as intimidating as I'd expected, and the formula was really nice.  It looked really gel like in the bowl and bottle, but it felt really creamy once it was applied, which was nice.  The only thing I didn't like was how dry my hair felt after.  But that was my fault--I'd bought a deep conditioning treatment for after the color part, but it apparently wasn't a very good one.  So today my hair just felt a little dry, and I'm looking forward to washing and conditioning it tomorrow and seeing what it looks like then.

I think I'll stick with this color and method.  It's definitely more expensive than the box dyes but given how fade resistant this stuff is supposed to be, that shouldn't be a huge deal.  I think doing this every few months is well worth the price.

2 comments:

  1. If you sign up for a Sally card the hair dye there is much more affordable, maybe even cheaper than the box stuff. It's $5 but then they send you a coupon for $5 to use the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a Sally's card for 3 years now, and I definitely used it. The dye I bought was $5.69 with the card, and I needed two bottles . . . and $12 is most definitely always going to be more expensive than the normal $3.97 I spend on the box dye :).

    ReplyDelete