11.21.2013

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful for:

--My job.  This is a really big one this year, because last year at this time I was unemployed and terrified that I'd never find a job.  And now I have a job that I love, with great co-workers, and I make enough money to support myself.  It's truly one of the best things that's happened to me since I came back to Flagstaff, for so many reasons.  I can say without a doubt that it helped tremendously with my mental health issues.  I feel so much better about myself now that I've got a job where I do well and am actually kind of important, and now that I don't have to depend on Jerbs so much.  It makes me feel very accomplished and happy.  Having a fixed schedule has also helped a lot, just in general.  Before, when I worked at Hastings and then when I wasn't working, I always stayed up too late and then slept too late and just felt off as far as how my days went, if that makes sense.  My work schedule has helped a lot with that.  I am just so incredibly grateful for MHC because I feel like it's where I'm supposed to be.  Plus the experience and skills I'm getting at this job will always be useful and will definitely help me get a job when I move out of AZ.  It's just a win win win for me, and like I said, I'm grateful for it, everyday.

--My car.  This is also a big one.  Having a car has been awesome.  Obviously it's made life a little easier in that it's convenient to be able to do things on my schedule and to be able to grocery shop without having to think about how much I can carry home.  And of course it's nice to not have to hike through snow in the freezing cold to get to the bus.  But even more than that I feel like my car is a really big symbol of my independence and how far I've come.  I bought that car by myself.  My mom did help with the down payment a little but I paid her back really fast, so I really did buy it with my own money.  And my own credit.  It's the first car that's ever been in just MY name, and I am so freaking proud of that!  Buying it was an accomplishment.

--Music education.  I know this is kind of a random one but it's something that I was thinking of the other day.  Art programs of all kinds are always the first things to go when schools need to save money and that's heart breaking.  I feel like the arts are absolutely essential to a well rounded education.  I started in band when I was in 5th grade and I played in ensembles all the way through college, plus I joined a band sorority, where I made some of the best friends I've ever had.  I'm very thankful that my parents always encouraged me to pursue music and that they thought it was just as important as math and English and science.  I genuinely feel like it made me smarter, and I know it played a huge role in making me who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment