7.17.2012

Graduate School

So here's the deal.  Since my current degree probably won't get me a good job--at least not in AZ--I figured that I'd go ahead and go to graduate school.  At this point it's only a thought, not 100% for sure.  But I'm torn between 3 programs that all have different career paths.  Here are the pros and cons of each.

Option A: MA in General English
This is a 36 credit hour program that would basically result in me having a more advanced version of the degree I have now.

PROS

  • This is the subject matter in which I am genuinely interested; I LOVE English!
  • Short program; I could finish it in 3 semesters easily.
  • Would be advantageous in seeking a job in publishing or editing.
  • As far as editing jobs go, most require experience; however a higher degree usually compensates for not having experience.
  • Can be done completely online, so I could still work full time, and if I moved before I finished school it wouldn't be an issue.
CONS
  • I don't actually know how useful this degree would be in job seeking or how I'd use it after I graduated.  Granted I could research that more while I was in school but it's risky.
  • Acceptance into this program requires 3 letters of recommendation; as I didn't really stay in touch with any of my professors from my undergrad, those would be a challenge to get.
  • I'm not sure if I need a higher degree to end up working in editing or publishing.  I can freelance edit for experience and references and work from there.
  • What I really want to do is write creatively and I don't actually need a degree for that.

Option B: MA in Early Childhood Education
This program is 36 credit hours and . . . well, it's an education degree.  With it I'd be able to teach babies through . . . I think 2nd grade?

PROS
  • This one has a very clear job plan and a very clear career path.  No question about how I'd use it after graduation or whether I'd use it.
  • I could work anywhere in the country (because I'm not planning on staying in AZ forever).
  • Offered online, so I could still work full time and location wouldn't be an issue.
  • Short program; probably 3 semesters.
  • Summers off.  I know that is a totally ridiculous thing to point out (especially if you're a teacher and are reading this) but honestly, working as a teacher would give me summers to focus on my writing, and I like that--because whatever I end up doing I still want to be a novelist.
  • My first job ever was as a gymnastics instructor working with younger kids, and I know that if I go into education this is the age group I want to work with.
  • Easy application process--no letters of rec or anything like that.
CONS
  • I don't actually know if I want to be a teacher.  I've never been a huge fan of going into education, and I worry that I'm only doing it because I want a career of some kind, and that I'd hate it.

Option C: MA in Counseling
This is a 60 hour program and at the end of it, I could work as a LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor).

PROS

  • Obviously this is something close to my heart.  As someone who deals with mental illness personally I would love more than anything to help others going through it.
  • My own history would lend me empathy; I could relate to my clients/patients better.
  • I could get a job anywhere.
CONS
  • Despite my desire to help others with these issues, I almost feel like, I've spent so much time fixing myself, I don't know that I really want to spend the rest of my life fixing others.  Selfishly, I'd rather continue working on myself, if that makes sense.
  • This is a long program.  I'd probably be in for three years.
  • Not offered online.  I'd be locked into either Flagstaff, Tucson, or Phoenix.  This also means I wouldn't be able to work--at least not full time, anyway--while I was in school, and that's a little scary.
  • I don't know what the admissions requirements are (because the NAU grad website is complete crap now).
  • I would not be able to start until Fall 2013.

OK, I think that's everything!  If you know me, please give me advice, and even if you don't . . . I'd like advice from you too!  And after you read this, feel free to vote in the little poll on the right.

Again, like I said, I really am up in the air about all of these, and while advice and poll results won't be the absolute deciding factor, I would love love love some input from outside of my own mind. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment