7.11.2012

Help Is Out There

A few hours ago, just for the heck of it, I looked up counselors/therapists in Flagstaff.

My psychiatrist told me at my first visit, and has told me again at every visit since, that I should seek counseling/therapy in addition to my medications.  And I've never done it because . . . I don't know why, really.  But since I've made the decision to focus on getting better, I've known that I was going to have to find someone and commit to seeing them.  And that means finding someone who can do the type of therapy I need (DBT--dialectical behavioral therapy), someone who takes uninsured patients, and someone who is not insanely expensive.  It's a tall, tall order.

So like I said, tonight, I did a search online.  My hopes weren't too high but to my enormous surprise one of the first results that came up were for a LPC here in Flag who specializes in borderline personality disorder and the DBT method.  She also takes uninsured patients, and she has a sliding scale fee deal for those patients.

I was kind of mind blown.  I don't know if I'll be able to afford her, I don't know how long her wait list is, I don't know when I'll even be able to get in since I'm still waiting on job stuff, and I don't know if she'll be a good match for me.

But still, just KNOWING that someone like her is out there, just knowing that there's a person in this town who ix exactly what I need, made me feel incredible.  It was just this moment where I thought . . . maybe it is possible to get better after all.  It was a tremendous relief to me, a weight off my shoulders.

Sometimes it's the little things that help the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment