7.17.2012

The MAD Movement

The MAD Movement is something that's been around for quite awhile--the earliest known events took place in 1993.  Initially, the MAD movement was called Mad Pride, and the goal of it was for those with mental illness to "reclaim" the word Mad (the way the gay rights movement has reclaimed the word queer, and the feminist movement has reclaimed the word slut).  It was about promoting acceptance of those with mental illness and trying to eliminate the stigma associated with these kinds of diseases.

I think that's a fantastic thing.  I think the less stigma's associated with this the better, because more sick people are going to seek treatment if they're not afraid of being labeled crazy.  I am 100% behind that.  And while I wouldn't say I'm proud to be bipolar, I will never deny that it's part of who I am.  I'll never cover up the self harm scars on my legs and arms because they're a part of my story.  I hate that I have this, but it's part of my story, whether I like it or not.  In its own way, it's beautiful.  And Mad Pride, in the beginning, agreed.

Today Mad Pride has become the MAD Movement, and for the most part, it embraces the same ideals as the original concept of Mad Pride.  But there's a faction of mentally ill people for whom the movement has a different meaning. These are people who embrace their illness by refusing to be treated for it--by refusing counseling, talk therapy, medication, all of it.  They view their illness as truly a part of themselves and believe that treating it would be denying a part of their identity.

This, I am 150% against.  I cannot imagine living my life that way.  When I was sick, before I started treatment, I was miserable 24/7.  I hated my life and wanted to die.  I couldn't wait to see a psychiatrist and start medication, and even though I'm still not completely better, I'm so much happier.

To have an illness like schizophrenia or really severe bipolar and not treat it (especially if you have the ability to treat it and just decide not to) is incredibly irresponsible.  Who knows what someone in that situation could do if they had a break with reality or a severe manic episode?

To me, it's just ridiculous and almost offensive.  But that's just me, and I wanted to get it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment