9.23.2012

Sentimental Sunday: The Time My Dad Pretended to Work at WalMart

One day, back in 2009, I was at work.  This was when I worked at the clinic, and I was in the middle of a 12 hour shift, and I was very busy.

The phone rang, and I answered it.  It was my mom, and of course my heart rate immediately speeds up because I think, if my mom is calling me at work something must be wrong.  But she doesn't tell me that anyone's in the hospital or jail or anything like that, instead . . .

She says, "Does your dad work at WalMart now?"  (At this time my dad was working at SouthWire--the place he worked for more than 20 years before the closed in 2010).

I was like . . . what?

And she proceeds to tell me this whole story about how she was coming out of WalMart and ran into my dad in the parking lot and she was surprised to see him, because he hates WalMart and avoids it.  So she asked him what he was doing there and he told her that he'd quit his job and was now working at WalMart as a cart collector.

She asked him what they were paying him, and he said minimum wage.  She asked him why he wasn't wearing a WalMart vest, and he told her they were ordering him one and that since he was new he didn't have to yet.

And then, she said, he started collecting carts while she watched.  He actually collected about 10 of them before my mom left.

And yes, it was just a joke, because my mom's gullible and my dad likes to mess with her.

That's my dad.

I think he's pretty awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment