11.25.2012

New Phone + Jerbs Is A Genius

Let's start at the very beginning of this story.

When Jerbs and I cleaned her dining table off for Thanksgiving, she found two Best Buy giftcards for $10 each that she got last Christmas.  She gave them to me because she doesn't shop at Best Buy and I was like cool, free twenty bucks!

Then we started discussing what to do about my phone problem and we decided the best thing was probably just to get me my own cell phone.  Nothing fancy, just a prepaid no contract one.  We looked at ones at WalMart and then it occurred to me that I could use the Best Buy giftcards for a new phone.

So last night I was looking at phones on Best Buy's website.  I really, really liked one that was on sale for $19.99 (regular price of $39.99).  I checked online and it was in stock at the local store and I was pretty stoked.  But then I double checked and it turned out that the $19.99 price was a Black Friday deal and only good until midnight last night--which meant that by the time I made it to the store it was going to be full price.  I was bummed.

And here's where the genius of Jerbs comes in.  She looked at the website and pointed out that they do in store pick up for stuff you buy online, and that since the store had it in stock we'd be able to pick it up the next day.  So we bought the phone online before the sale ended and chose store pick up.  Jerbs was worried that they might not accept the giftcards for prepaid mobile but they did.  The difference was like $1.88, so for about two dollars, I got a phone!

We went to pick it up this evening after Jerbs got off work and Theresa happened to be working, so we got to see her for a little while.  She also sent us to one of her co-workers who does the mobile phone stuff, and this girl activated my phone for me and got me all set up.  It was pretty awesome!  I walked out of the store with my phone fully functional and super happy with the service we got.

All in all good times.  I really love my new phone and I'm glad to have a working phone again.  Like really, really glad.

I think that this was the best way to go.  Right now I'm on the pay by day plan and once I get a job I'll switch to the monthly plan (unlimited talk, text, and data/web stuff for $50).  I'm hoping that'll be able to happen soon!  And I needed to get my own phone anyway.  My old phone/number is the one that I got with Corey--so it's part of our shared plan.  When I moved he let me stay on it and offered to keep paying for it on the condition that when it was time to renew the contract in March 2013, I'd get my own plan.  So . . . it just happened a little earlier than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment