11.08.2012

Thankful Thursday: My Family

Lately my Facebook has been blowing up with people posting something for which they're thankful daily for the month of November.  I wanted to do something gratitude inspired for this month but I'm not really up to a daily thing, so I decided on a weekly thing instead.  So I give you Thankful Thursday.  And yes, I know I missed a week, but whatever.  Maybe I'll do an extra one at some point.
---------------

Today I'm thankful for my family, because they are awesome.  My family definitely has their faults, like all people do, but I love them dearly.  My family consists of . . . 

My Dad
--One of the funniest people I know, whose sense of humor is close to mine.
--Spent two decades of his life getting up every day and going to a job he hated because he had a family to support.  To me, that's heroic.
--Built most of the house we lived in on LeRoy.
--Fond of giving people nicknames.  Most of my and my sister's friends had nicknames from him growing up.  He calls me Other Left, because I've always had a problem telling my right from my left.
--Die hard Steelers fan.  That's why I cheer for the Steelers--it's pretty much in my blood.
--Amateur mechanic who spent a lot of time fixing things on my POS first car.
--I've been told that while I look like my mom, I have my dad's eyes.  I also inherited his temperament . . . and his temper.  (Not that he's an angry person, we just tend to get pissed off the same way).
--The person I've gone to more and more for advice as I've gotten older, because I think a lot like my dad.  Up until college I was always closer to my mom, and while I'm still close to her, I feel like my dad is more a confidant for me now.  
--Always asks how I'm doing with my mental illness treatment, which is amazing.  My dad really doesn't get the whole bipolar thing.  I'm not saying he's stupid by any means, he just doesn't really understand why it happens to some people and how it's diagnosed, since there's really no concrete test, y'know?  When my mom dealt with depression/anxiety a long time ago, he kind of detached.  When I dealt with it he did the same thing.  But now he asks about it regularly, asks if I'm taking my medicine and stuff, and I love that he's trying harder to understand it.  It means so much to me.
--He came to every NAU Homecoming game from 2003--2009.  And in all the times I've moved, there's only been one he hasn't helped with.
--He is an amazing grandfather to Austin, and I love seeing him in that role.  And it's clear how much Austin loves him.  Austin calls him BoBo . . . we don't know why, but he does.

My Mom
--Probably the most generous, giving, selfless person I've ever known or will ever know.  She has always gone above and beyond to help people, whether they're friends or strangers.  I haven't done as much of her but I feel a strong drive in me to give and give back whenever I can, and I know that comes from watching her.
--Extreme couponner.  Not as extreme as the ones you see on TV but still pretty extreme.  That's one of the reasons she's so giving--whenever she buys a ton of food, she gives most of it away.  
--She donated a giant box of fruit snacks to Grace Place, the after school program that Corey's mom runs through his family's church in Chinle.  Everyone out there was thrilled and touched, and I loved that our families connected through her.
--But I will say that as a result of always being stocked up on something as a kid, there are some foods I just ate way too much of back then and can't eat now.
--Cleveland Browns fan.  It was kind of a big deal when they played the Steelers in my house.
--Started working at my school as a lunch lady when I started first grade.  I had some separation anxiety and I used to cry when I'd see her at lunch.
--Used to make me peanut butter and butter sandwiches, the logic being that the butter would keep the peanut butter from every choking me.  It was disgusting, and just remembering that taste makes me cringe.  (No offense, mom!)
--Huuuuuuuge band geek when she was in high school.  She played just about everything but was primarily a flute player.  She's the reason I couldn't wait to join band and why I love music.  I'm grateful for that, because music has shaped a lot of the best experiences in my life.  Plus I know she's proud of me for being a musician, and I love that she understands the significance of it.
--Passionately in love with Jon Bon Jovi.
--She is an incredible grandmother to Austin.  I've never seen anyone so doting, and it's really sweet.  Just like with my dad, I love seeing her as a grandparent.  And Austin is very attached to her; I swear he asks at least once every time I see him if we can go to her house.  Austin calls her Grandma.

My Younger Sister (Jenny)
--Three and a half years younger than I am.  She graduated high school a year early, which I think is super cool.
--I hated her when she was born, because I definitely did not want a little sister.
--She called me Sister for the longest time, and I actually had trouble adjusting when she finally started using my name.
--We wore matching outfits on every holiday.  We also fought horribly as kids.
--She was a cheer leader--the polar opposite of a band geek like me.
--Has gone through a lot the last few years, especially with Austin, but has handled it all well and in a positive way.  I admire that greatly.
--Aspired to be a nurse, and worked first as a CNA.
--She found out she was pregnant just before she found out she'd been accepted to nursing school.  She started nursing school pregnant and gave birth before her first semester was over, and still finished that semester with good grades.  I can't even say how amazing I think that is, because I know I could never have done birth.
--In May of 2010, graduated with her nursing degree and officially became an R.N.  I was and am so proud of her, and going to her pinning ceremony was a fantastic experience.
--Now she works as an R.N. in the ER at KRMC--the hospital where we were all born, and where Austin was born.  She loves her job and is truly passionate about it, and from what I've heard, she makes an amazing nurse.  I'm glad she found her calling in life.
--A great mom to Austin.  The two of them love each other so much.  It has been both strange and amazing to see my sister as a mother.  That's not really something you think about growing up together--that you'll always be sisters and you'll see each other go through some tremendous changes in life.  But still, it's a beautiful thing.

My Younger Younger Sister (Jillian)
--Eight years younger than me, almost exactly.  She was born 2 days after my 8th birthday.  I didn't really mind her . . . Jenny wasn't happy though.
--She is a lot more like me than Jenny is, and I think some of that has to do with being the same star signs.  She's an artistic and literary person and a critical thinker, like me.  I just think that's interesting because of our close birthdays.
--I used to pick her up from school in high school, and I always thought that was cool.  We also shared a room for quite a few years as kids.
--Once when she was a toddler she got mad at me and ripped her Barney poster off the wall.  It was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen.
--She is probably the most tech savvy person in our family, probably because she's the youngest.
--Interested in photography, which I think would be a really cool/good career choice for her.
--She's a very smart girl, and I think she has a bright, bright future ahead of her if she puts her mind to it and chooses what she wants to do with her life.  (She's like me and has too many interests to really settle on a career/school choice).
--An awesome aunt to Austin.  He calls her Auntie and loves to hang out with her when he's at my mom's house.

Austin
--The most awesome and adorable 4 year old on the whole planet in my opinion.  I'm happy to have him around and I'm excited to watch him grow up.



No comments:

Post a Comment