11.22.2012

Thankful Thursday: Miscellaneous

I'm thankful for psychiatric medication.  I know that sounds like a bad joke this time of year but it's true.  Without the medication I take, I would be exactly where I was 3 years ago, and even though my life is far, far from perfect, I know I'm better off now than I was then.  And I'm not just thankful for the drugs.  I'm also thankful that I live in a time and a place where there are people who can test for and diagnose what I have.  I'm thankful that what I have has been extensively researched and therefore has a known treatment.

I'm thankful that even without insurance I have a family and friends who've all pitched in to get me the help I've needed.

I'm thankful for my education, and I wouldn't change it.  I think education is always a good thing.  And even though right now, no, I'm not using my degree in a particular job, I'm still glad to have it.  And I have no doubt that once I'm back on my feet (and probably out of AZ) I'll be able to put it to very good use.  Even if I spend the rest of my life in an unrelated career, I studied something I love, and I'm not sorry for that.  Not in the least.

I'm thankful for Jerbs' cats, Irene and Ilya, and of course for Benji.  They just make life better and I'm glad to have pets.

I'm thankful for the bus system.  If I had a choice I'd have a car, no question, but if the bus system didn't exist I'd be screwed.  And I really don't mind taking the bus.  Sometimes it's inconvenient but still, better than some alternatives.  And there are some really fantastic bus drivers we get to meet, and that makes it OK.

I'm thankful for the diversity of the people I know, both in real life and through blogging.  I have friends who are Mormons and friends who are anarchists and friends who are Christians, I have married friends and single friends and widowed friends and divorced friends, I have friends who struggle with infertility and friends who have 5 kids, I have friends who are politically conservative and friends who are politically liberal, I have friends who are gay and straight and trans . . . and it amazes me.  I'm grateful for all of the different views and ideas and lifestyles I've been exposed to through my friends.  So whoever you're are, if you're reading this, keep doin' what you're doin', because you're awesome for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment